This week's giveaway is a combination of free swag I picked up from C-SPAN in the Classroom while at last month's National Charter Schools Conference and some great U.S. History materials that once adorned my classroom walls. The winner will receive everything seen above, including:
- 1 reusable C-SPAN in the Classroom tote
- 1 C-SPAN American Presidents Timeline poster
- 1 C-SPAN pencil
- A souvenir Virginia licence plate & frame commemorating the 400th anniversary of the Jamestown Settlement in 2007
- Set of 6 postcards from the historic Jamestown Glasshouse
- 1 glass paperweight hand-crafted at the Glasshouse (it says "Discover Jamestown" around the edge, surrounding an image of the iconic ships that brought settlers there.
What crop did the Jamestown settlers begin to grow that saved the colony and soon became the most important crop for the economy of the southern colonies?
Send your response to firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck!
UPDATE 8/13: We have a winner! Thank you to everyone who wrote in--everyone who did knew the correct answer: tobacco. Remember, I'm doing giveaways like this every week in August, so keep checking back to see what you can win!