- Carnival of Homeschooling #194 [@Dewey's Treehouse] - I hope that public school teachers don't automatically discount resources I share from homeschooling websites. I don't know that this is happening, but I know that there are people out there who don't think it relates to what they're doing. There's a lot of good stuff in this carnival (and any homeschooling-focused websites I link to) for any teacher!
- School Replaces Entire Library With Technology [via Slashdot & DetentionSlip] - Have you heard about this? I have no problem with them embracing technology to expand students' access to books, but I don't understand why they had to get rid of the books they already had! It seems they had 20,000 and wanted to make space, but I'm sure the collection could have been pared down and still had plenty of space (just look at the pictures in the story)!
- Free Classroom Fitness Program For Teachers - Short exercise routines for teachers and students, especially those who don't get much due to budget cuts.
- Playing Tetris May Build Up Your Brain - I already knew that Tetris can help you feel better when you've been through something traumatic. I also think it's a vital tool for teaching spatial reasoning. This is just icing on the cake.
- Are Your Kids Shut-Down Learners? - Wired's GeekDad blog reviews an interesting book on dealing with children who are disconnected from and frustrated with school to the extreme.
Friday, September 18, 2009
Tags: five for friday
at 8:00 AM